February 6, 2007

Wild parties - breeder style!

Anytime you're expecting six litters of rabbits during the coldest night of the whole winter, something offbeat is bound to happen! This party started Sunday afternoon. Doe #1 (Californian) kindled a bouncing litter of nine live kits, and really didn't pull a lot of fur. The kits got chilled and my wonderful family stepped in and helped warm them up. So, we're good there. The kits made it through the night just fine and everyone was happy.

Until Monday afternoon, that is. My father called from work yesterday to warn us that the temperature was supposed to drop pretty low during the evening. Then I heard the weather report: "Low temperature advisory: temperatures in the single digits. Some areas will experience a windchill of -15 degrees. If you must venture outside, wear a hat and gloves to prevent frostbite."

Being an intelligent, level-headed individual, I naturally reacted with calmness and self-control. "OH MY GOODNESS, IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE -15 TONIGHT?! I have an OPEN RABBIT BARN! THEY'RE ALL GOING TO FREEZE TO DEATH!" There was only one thing for I and my brave comrades to do: protect the innocent bunnies and ducklings at all costs! (Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot to tell you that we also have a three ducklings and a chick that a very dedicated hen hatched in the middle of January.) And so, the newborn litter of eight found themselves safely sheltered in my bedroom from the bitter cold. Not to spoil the fun, the ducklings also joined the party. (This particular room used to be a laundry room, so it has a washable linoleum floor.) Then, I remembered poor Lacie the Angora and her five-week-old litter. If the rest of my rabbits were going to freeze to death, I wasn't about to lose my fuzz babies too! So, they also settled in for a sleepover, sharing a nice big dog crate pressed into service for the night. (Ribo, my spoiled spaniel, had something to say about that, but when you're facing the annihilation of your barn, nothing stands in the way!)

Things were getting pretty cozy. We had the outside critters bedded down as best we could and the zoo inside was settled in. Ah, we could finally relax with some popcorn for our Monday night Heroes tradition. After the show was over, I stepped into the bedroom and flicked on the light to check the menagerie. Oops! Six saucy little pixie faces blinked up at me from the middle of the floor. Those naughty little English Angora bunnies had somehow squeezed out of the wire dog crate! ("Goodness, it's a good thing the other dog hadn't found them. He's only a pup and he wouldn't know not to hurt them!") So, I ushered the little furry rascals back to bed and stopped up the gap along the bottom of the crate. Problem solved.

I, my roommates, three dogs, four birds, and 18 rabbits of various sizes finally settled down for bed. But, I just had to check the rabbits one more time before bed (this was about midnight). After donning my down jacket, wool stocking cap, insulated gloves, and heavy boots (remember the weather report?) I stepped out into the Artic tundra, fighting my way across the field through a swirling blizzard to check on the poor snowbound bunnies. (Errr, a slight exaggeration...) Ah ha! Doe #2 (Butterscotch the Creme d'Argent) had kindled! Seven kits! Again, they weren't covered, but they were slightly damp and completely warm. Must be only a few minutes old. Well, back to the house with them too.

Twenty-five rabbits. Three dogs. Four poultry. Plus people. In one room. (Does that set some kind of record?)

I finally was able to get to bed, but suddenly I heard this...splashing sound. Ducks! They had woken up and, doing what ducks do best, demanded a midnight swim. (I woke them up going outside. My poor sister.) Well, another night in the Bennett house. :-)


When all was said and done, the temperature only dropped in the 20's. Figures.

No comments: