March 6, 2007

Three Years in the ARBA

I just got my 2007 membership card from the ARBA and I realized that it's been three years since I plunged into showing rabbits. Wow! It seems like a lifetime, but compared to so many other breeders, I'm a newbie!

We got our first rabbit, a pet New Zealand White, several years prior to the show bunnies. "Fluffy" was only with us about a year, but he taught us a lot about bunnies. His quirky personality and goofy hijinks did a lot to influence my decision to get into rabbits as a breeder. Later on, I purchased a pair of "mutt" rabbits from a backyard meat breeder and raised a couple of litters. Looking back now, I definitely regret that, but "Bucky" and "Blossom" did further my "bunny education". One of the things I learned is the importance of setting goals for your breeding program and purchasing only quality rabbits "worthy" of passing on their genes!

In January or February of 2003, I got four Californians from a reputable breeder near Richmond, Virginia. I'd never really intended to show rabbits, but after cuddling one of those rabbits, it seemed a shame not to try it at least once. Off we went to a show with two of the new "girls" in tow. Of course, one of them won her class and I was smitten with showing. (I was like, "This is so EASY and so much FUN!" Easy? NOT! Fun? Yes.) In 2004, we got Creme d'Argent rabbits and then last September, English Angoras. At the current rate, I figure I'll have all 50 breeds in my barn in the next ten years. [rolls eyes]

Still awake?

Moving on from my tail of addiction, erm, story of showing, we got a really fun email Sunday from Peter and Lynanne in northern Virginia. Lynanne had contacted us several months ago looking for an English Angora and she's waited very patiently for a bunny since then. (the Angora waiting list deserves a post all its own...) Saturday, they came down and got an adorable little lilac pearl buck (click on the picture labelled "Yeti").

"Woolsley" made the trip just fine, but the fun began Sunday morning. Woolsley had been given a toilet paper tube stuffed with hay the night before (great cheap toy, by the way), and of course, being an intelligent, resourceful English Angora, he worked all the hay out and devoured it. The next morning, he greeted them, then he picked up the now empty toilet paper tube and pitched it in his food bowl! I don't generally attribute human characteristics to animals - expect in the case of rabbits, dogs, cats, horses, chickens, ducks, turkeys, etc. - so I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that story...